Instant noodle and pasta is his favorite as well as chocolate, biscuits and sweets. He will stare first at the food, try to make sense of the presentation (like a mastercheff judge) before he would like to open his mouth to be fed. He prefer to only eats his chicken dish without his rice. I have to force him sometime to eat his carbo. Well that is my eldest son who is 4 years old right now. I like to cook but sometime cooking 3 different dishes for lunch (one after another as he refuse to eat) quite tiring.
So recently I find something that really help me to get him eat bread. I purchase this bear shaped bread mold online at www.avenue86.com.my for the price of RM 10 (USD 3). My son really excited everytime he saw me carrying a stack of bread. He will bug me to make a bear bread (roti bear). You just stack 2 bread together and pressed the mold on top of it; It is easy to make and cleaned. Look cute dohh!
This item is a hot item so sometime it is already sold out. If this to happen, just get the reminder. The web has feature that can give you reminder thru email once the item available. Happy Day!
The end Product-you can toast after molding
- hungry everyone!
Wooshh… it has been quite a while I haven’t be able to get myself to start blogging. I guess after deliver my second child, every regular…comfort…work-life balance just go to drain…but as I go along…especially extra hand from Mr. Husband…things get balance pretty quick. But certainly it is a bless having another boy to our small family.
Cooking is quite hard for me right now since to juggle 2 demanding boys right now but certainly the passion just dont go away.. : ). It is still in Hari Raya mode and I had been able to bake mama carey cookies last weekend. It really took me about 1/2 a day to finish it as I took so many pitstop during the baking session…-to change diapers, make milk, bath my kids and the list continud on…
Ok, here is the recipe-
A- for the base
250 gm butter
300 gm wheat flour
Half eaten…by me certainly..
100 gm icing sugar
150 gm corn flour
1 tbs vanilla essence
For the topping;
250 gm icing sugar
2 white eggs
1 sp of corn flour
a bit of cocoa powder
How to make it-
1. Mix butter+icing sugar using cake mixer until creamy. Then add vanilla.
2. Then add the flour bit by bit until it it become doh where it is ready enough to be cookies pressed. Role the doh to about 1 cm thick and then use a cookies cutter to cut it. The original version is using heart shape but I just used whatever available. (as I always misplaced item…huhuhuhu)..
3. Ready with the topping, using a cake mixer, beat the white eggs with the icing sugar until you get a creamy mixture, then add the corn flour to thick it up. It is quite a thick mixture.
4. Then for the decoration, take around 2 spoon from the topping and mix it with cocoa until you get dark color.
5. As everything ready, place the topping onto the base using your finger (as it is easier to spread it). Then get a tooth pick,dip it into the dark color topping , and then give a few stroke on top of the white topping as a decoration. Then bake it at about 10-20 minutes at 150 deg C.
6. Caution: you need to immediately put the cookies in oven after you have put the topping on the base. If not it will just flow over from the base.
Last week, a good colleague of mine gave me a total set of aquarium of his. He handed it over to me as he finds I will be more dedicated to take care of the fishes. I hope so…huhuhu…He gave the complete set with submersible pump, lighting, anti-chlorine solution, the food, and 5 cute tetra-neon fishes. What a day! My son is so excited about it to the extent he plays his toys with the fishes. He always helps me feed the fish but until now he is too afraid to touch the fish even just by touching the glass. My husband and me always talking about having an aquarium in our house but just don’t have the gut to take that extra commitment. But since it is just a small aquarium and tetra-neon fishes are easy to maintain and care, I guess this is a good opportunity for us to see whether we are up to it.
I want to do something good for him in return so I decide to bake cookies for him. At first it is a gift for Chinese New Year cookies but instead I just made it now as during that time I might be too pregnant (36 weeks). It is very easy, crunchy, and healthy. This recipe is from Asmah Laili ‘s cookbook. Base on the feedback, it is really …really delicious.
250 g butter
270 g caster sugar
160 g self-raised flour
200 g oat
120g g diced almonds
120 g cornflakes (hand-crushed)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1. Beat the butter, caster sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Eggs are added one by one while beating the batter. After that add the cornflakes, almonds, and oat. You can do this without using the mixer.
2. Add the flour bit by bit.
3. Shape the dough into small ball and place it on to the baking pan. Bake it at 160 deg C for about 15-20 minutes.
My colleagues suggest me to write something from my son perspective, well here I go….
I am a big fan of ultramen. There are Leo, Max, Seven, Cosmos, Nexus, and Tiga. I have lots of ultramen. My mom keeps it inside one huge basket. She always says that I have too many ultramen but normally she is the one who buy the ultramen 1/week. . I am 3 years old today. It is my birthday because my mum says so. She also says that I am a handsome, smart, and ‘soleh’ boy. She says that Allah love good people and He will grant us our wish if we do good thing. So I help my mom fetch tv controller for her, sweep the floor, help her doing laundry, pick up my toys and give her a hug when she’s crying. Because of that she throws me my ultramen birthday party. Hurmmm….it is so hard to write based on a 3 years old perspective, due to the short time I have…I will continue with my story instead…..hahahaha
My adrenalin just shoots up after deciding to hold a birthday bash for my baby boy (already a toddler…huhuhu). I surf the net and get opinion from my colleagues to find the simple but most memorable way to hold a party. My target is to prepare bit by bit 1 month early. I was 7 months pregnant during that time so holding a small birthday party is a very…very hard job for me. But due to my love for him I still did it. The party is for 20 people max. It is only for family members and my son’s babysitter’s family only. The theme is ultramen because as you know my son is die-hard fan for ultramen. Hope below tips and ideas will help enthusiastic mother out there. The tip is to develop a plan and work your plan out.
How to choose? It all depend on your budget, if you are in a tight budget, choose hi-tea concept instead of lunch. My budget is within RM 200-300 for food. So I catered the main dishes; Nasi Tomato serves with Ayam Masak Merah and Dhal. I made orange cupcakes with cheese cream frost plus fruits and cookies as part of the side dish.
How to choose? For a crowd of 20-30 people, 1.5-2 kg cake is sufficient. If you want a special design for your cake decoration, ensure you order early. Mine is ultramen rainbow theme.
It is a birthday party for kids, decoration is a must. I prepared balloons, birthday hats, birthday mask, and made pennate for my son’s friends to enjoy. I felt happy to see that they were happy celebrating together.
Already 3 Luv You
Last but not least is the goodies bag. There’s a lot ideas out there in the web and for me is not to give too much on the junk food. So I give a box of color pencil, a small chocolate cake, and a pack of chocolate. Each goodies bag is stick with personal design sticker. I did the design and get it print at a banner house. I thought it is expensive at the first place but actually it is not as long as you are the one who do the design.
Still raining heavily in Terengganu, Paka to be exact. I guess the condition is worst compare to last year as road to Dungun and Kuantan is always on the verge to flood. Hopefully the weather will improve next week, as I really miss shiny Mr. Sun. This cold weather and 30 weeks pregnancy makes me hungrier than ever. Frequent snacking is my main activities currently but a difficult appetite to meet as I seem to be craving different types of food each day. It is hardly to find the things I desire here in Terengganu so the only solution to that is to cook it myself. I like savory food while most of the food here is a bit sweet.
I watched Jalan-Jalan Cari Makan last weekend, they introduce a place called Sup Urat Keting at Bandar Baru Bangi. Most of the ingredients that they prepare are using urat keting (cow’s tendon). I am not that fan of this internal organ but what got my attention is the Pakapau/Pad Krapao Fried Rice. This dish is originally from Thailand made from ground beef marinated with Thailand basil leaves. I used dry basil leaves as I can’t find the fresh one.
200 grams of ground beef
1 teaspoon of dry basil
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon chilies sauce
1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce (the darker the better)
3 bird eye chilies
Salt to taste
Step by Step:
1. Marinate the ground beef with dry basil+turmeric powder+salt for around 10-20 minutes.
2. Heat up a little bit of oil, and then add the finely cut shallots and garlic. Fry it just for a short while. Then add the marinate ground beef. Important to keep stir the beef to break off the ground beef.
3. When the ground beef already half cook, add in the oyster sauce+chilies sauce and chilies sauce. Then add in the bird eye chilies and finely cut carrots and leeks. Cook for about another 2-5 minutes. Ready to be serve with white rice/fried rice and sunny side-up egg.
Last weekend, I had a craving for zingy+hot+refreshing dish. End up I decided to make Steam Grouper with ginger for dinner. It is easy and a healthy one too. This is my first time cooking this; I had watched few times my aunt Cik De preparing this dish for wedding formal meal (makan beradab). She will handle makan beradab dish everytime our family have wedding occasion; from the food to the table setting. So I did a little bit surfing and consult my colleagues on it and Walla! I came up with below recipe. The taste was superb and this dish needs to be served while hot.
500g grouper fish
1 1/2 inch of ginger
5 garlic cloves
1tbs of oyster sauce
5 pcs of asam boi/ sour slices
Leeks for garnishing
Salt to taste
Step by Step>>
1. Prepare your steamer; it takes a bit of time for the water to boil so start early.
2. Clean the fish with tamarind to remove the smell. Finely slice ginger, garlic, and lemon grass.
2. Rub the fish with salt and oyster sauce. Place it in pyrex. Sprinkle finely slice ginger, garlic, and lemongrass on it. Add a little bit of water according to your liking. Add the asam boi and place the fish into steamer. Cook it about 15-20 minutes.
3. When the fish is almost done, squeeze lime juice onto the fish. Serve it while hot with steaming white rice. Enjoy!
Orange Cup-Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Welcome December! , as well as my son birthday is coming near on 23 Dec 2012. He is soon to be 3 years old. It is a bless from Allah having him around and really want to make a special but small party for him and his friend. . I was trying this polka-dot cup cakes recipe from Martha Stewart blog but with a little twist of my own. Planning to include cup cakes as part of my son birthday bash. (My hubby thinks I have gone out of the league with the planning as I promise him it would be small…hahahaha, I guess how small is depend on how you look at it). It’s an easy recipe if your little one does not cross your kitchen territory. If not just treat it as a playtime.
For the cup cakes>>
250 gram butter
2 cups sugar (if you don’t want it to be too sweet, 1 ½ cups would be enough)
4 eggs (medium size)
1 cup of milk
3 cups of Self-rising flour
1 teaspoon of salt
3 spoons of Sunquick Orange Concentrated
For the cream cheese frosting>>
250 gram cream cheese
4 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
¾ cup of icing sugar
Step by Step
1. Prepare the ingredient. The original recipe used grated orange zest but since I like more simplified things I used Sunquick Concentration instead. The cream cheese I used Tatura brand after being consult by a bakerina in Paka.
2. Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and add together eggs one at a time. Mix well until you feel that sugar already diluted in the batter. Add sunquick concentrated orange. Then beat in the flour mixture (flour+salt) and milk.
3. Fill in the prepared muffin cups around ½ full. (It is fine if the batter is not leveled in the muffin cups as it will immediately level by heat of the oven). Bake until cupcakes brown. You can tell it by stick in either fork or toothpick and it will come out clean. Let the cupcakes cool about 5 minutes.
4. For the cheese cream frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Add milk and vanilla; beat frosting until combined. Use immediately. The frosting can be store in the fridge for about 10 days. Just let it defrost for a while first before use it.