My colleagues suggest me to write something from my son perspective, well here I go….
I am a big fan of ultramen. There are Leo, Max, Seven, Cosmos, Nexus, and Tiga. I have lots of ultramen. My mom keeps it inside one huge basket. She always says that I have too many ultramen but normally she is the one who buy the ultramen 1/week. . I am 3 years old today. It is my birthday because my mum says so. She also says that I am a handsome, smart, and ‘soleh’ boy. She says that Allah love good people and He will grant us our wish if we do good thing. So I help my mom fetch tv controller for her, sweep the floor, help her doing laundry, pick up my toys and give her a hug when she’s crying. Because of that she throws me my ultramen birthday party. Hurmmm….it is so hard to write based on a 3 years old perspective, due to the short time I have…I will continue with my story instead…..hahahaha
My adrenalin just shoots up after deciding to hold a birthday bash for my baby boy (already a toddler…huhuhu). I surf the net and get opinion from my colleagues to find the simple but most memorable way to hold a party. My target is to prepare bit by bit 1 month early. I was 7 months pregnant during that time so holding a small birthday party is a very…very hard job for me. But due to my love for him I still did it. The party is for 20 people max. It is only for family members and my son’s babysitter’s family only. The theme is ultramen because as you know my son is die-hard fan for ultramen. Hope below tips and ideas will help enthusiastic mother out there. The tip is to develop a plan and work your plan out.
How to choose? It all depend on your budget, if you are in a tight budget, choose hi-tea concept instead of lunch. My budget is within RM 200-300 for food. So I catered the main dishes; Nasi Tomato serves with Ayam Masak Merah and Dhal. I made orange cupcakes with cheese cream frost plus fruits and cookies as part of the side dish.
How to choose? For a crowd of 20-30 people, 1.5-2 kg cake is sufficient. If you want a special design for your cake decoration, ensure you order early. Mine is ultramen rainbow theme.
It is a birthday party for kids, decoration is a must. I prepared balloons, birthday hats, birthday mask, and made pennate for my son’s friends to enjoy. I felt happy to see that they were happy celebrating together.
Already 3 Luv You
Last but not least is the goodies bag. There’s a lot ideas out there in the web and for me is not to give too much on the junk food. So I give a box of color pencil, a small chocolate cake, and a pack of chocolate. Each goodies bag is stick with personal design sticker. I did the design and get it print at a banner house. I thought it is expensive at the first place but actually it is not as long as you are the one who do the design.
Still raining heavily in Terengganu, Paka to be exact. I guess the condition is worst compare to last year as road to Dungun and Kuantan is always on the verge to flood. Hopefully the weather will improve next week, as I really miss shiny Mr. Sun. This cold weather and 30 weeks pregnancy makes me hungrier than ever. Frequent snacking is my main activities currently but a difficult appetite to meet as I seem to be craving different types of food each day. It is hardly to find the things I desire here in Terengganu so the only solution to that is to cook it myself. I like savory food while most of the food here is a bit sweet.
I watched Jalan-Jalan Cari Makan last weekend, they introduce a place called Sup Urat Keting at Bandar Baru Bangi. Most of the ingredients that they prepare are using urat keting (cow’s tendon). I am not that fan of this internal organ but what got my attention is the Pakapau/Pad Krapao Fried Rice. This dish is originally from Thailand made from ground beef marinated with Thailand basil leaves. I used dry basil leaves as I can’t find the fresh one.
200 grams of ground beef
1 teaspoon of dry basil
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon chilies sauce
1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce (the darker the better)
3 bird eye chilies
Salt to taste
Step by Step:
1. Marinate the ground beef with dry basil+turmeric powder+salt for around 10-20 minutes.
2. Heat up a little bit of oil, and then add the finely cut shallots and garlic. Fry it just for a short while. Then add the marinate ground beef. Important to keep stir the beef to break off the ground beef.
3. When the ground beef already half cook, add in the oyster sauce+chilies sauce and chilies sauce. Then add in the bird eye chilies and finely cut carrots and leeks. Cook for about another 2-5 minutes. Ready to be serve with white rice/fried rice and sunny side-up egg.
Last weekend, I had a craving for zingy+hot+refreshing dish. End up I decided to make Steam Grouper with ginger for dinner. It is easy and a healthy one too. This is my first time cooking this; I had watched few times my aunt Cik De preparing this dish for wedding formal meal (makan beradab). She will handle makan beradab dish everytime our family have wedding occasion; from the food to the table setting. So I did a little bit surfing and consult my colleagues on it and Walla! I came up with below recipe. The taste was superb and this dish needs to be served while hot.
500g grouper fish
1 1/2 inch of ginger
5 garlic cloves
1tbs of oyster sauce
5 pcs of asam boi/ sour slices
Leeks for garnishing
Salt to taste
Step by Step>>
1. Prepare your steamer; it takes a bit of time for the water to boil so start early.
2. Clean the fish with tamarind to remove the smell. Finely slice ginger, garlic, and lemon grass.
2. Rub the fish with salt and oyster sauce. Place it in pyrex. Sprinkle finely slice ginger, garlic, and lemongrass on it. Add a little bit of water according to your liking. Add the asam boi and place the fish into steamer. Cook it about 15-20 minutes.
3. When the fish is almost done, squeeze lime juice onto the fish. Serve it while hot with steaming white rice. Enjoy!
Orange Cup-Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Welcome December! , as well as my son birthday is coming near on 23 Dec 2012. He is soon to be 3 years old. It is a bless from Allah having him around and really want to make a special but small party for him and his friend. . I was trying this polka-dot cup cakes recipe from Martha Stewart blog but with a little twist of my own. Planning to include cup cakes as part of my son birthday bash. (My hubby thinks I have gone out of the league with the planning as I promise him it would be small…hahahaha, I guess how small is depend on how you look at it). It’s an easy recipe if your little one does not cross your kitchen territory. If not just treat it as a playtime.
For the cup cakes>>
250 gram butter
2 cups sugar (if you don’t want it to be too sweet, 1 ½ cups would be enough)
4 eggs (medium size)
1 cup of milk
3 cups of Self-rising flour
1 teaspoon of salt
3 spoons of Sunquick Orange Concentrated
For the cream cheese frosting>>
250 gram cream cheese
4 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
¾ cup of icing sugar
Step by Step
1. Prepare the ingredient. The original recipe used grated orange zest but since I like more simplified things I used Sunquick Concentration instead. The cream cheese I used Tatura brand after being consult by a bakerina in Paka.
2. Preheat oven to 200 deg C. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and add together eggs one at a time. Mix well until you feel that sugar already diluted in the batter. Add sunquick concentrated orange. Then beat in the flour mixture (flour+salt) and milk.
3. Fill in the prepared muffin cups around ½ full. (It is fine if the batter is not leveled in the muffin cups as it will immediately level by heat of the oven). Bake until cupcakes brown. You can tell it by stick in either fork or toothpick and it will come out clean. Let the cupcakes cool about 5 minutes.
4. For the cheese cream frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until smooth. Add milk and vanilla; beat frosting until combined. Use immediately. The frosting can be store in the fridge for about 10 days. Just let it defrost for a while first before use it.
Welcome to my blog! It is a canvas for me to share on my latest discovery on culinary. Any comments or ideas are welcome here. My rules is simple as long as it is easy to make and taste great; I will try. Happy scrolling!